Friday, May 4

In Review: North Island Edition


As we get ready to take of on our 2nd grand New Zealand road trip with Elliot, I thought it would be a good time to reflect again on our time here.

Weather
I don't even know anymore. I have given up on the weatherman and especially on that warm northerly wind people used to tell me about. Ironically, when we returned from Australia it seemed warmer in New Zealand, if that makes and sense, which was nice for our 3 day, 47 km hike in the Abel Tasman for sure.  Settling in Wellington we have started to experience the famed wind, though unfortunately it recently brought with it a cold front and it definitely feels like winter now.  Plus, in contrast to all those lovely long summer hours that I was raving about before, it has started to get dark earlier and earlier with the sun setting at about 5:30. The season change is especially confusing when I get emails that say 'feeling the heat?' and other various summer references that are obviously coming from the states.

Driving
Since I last wrote, the confusing and unnecessary 'give-way' rules have changed! Yay! However despite the few weeks of radio and TV ads informing people of the change, there are still a few people who you'll find haven't quite caught on and so still awkward moments will arise. In time they will learn, in time.

Also, since the last review we took Betsy in for a new WOF certificate and we are glad to say she passed! In New Zealand you are required to be driving with a valid Warrant Of Fitness (WOF) which expires every 6 months. Basically, they give your car a check-up to make sure it is safe to drive on the road, there are no broken tail lights, etc. This doesn't mean you don't need an oil change, but it mean that everything is working. They won't give you the certificate until everything is clear, which means you technically can't drive it. Very relieving to get a clean bill of health! There is debate as to how useful this rule is. On one hand it does make you take a look at your car every few months, but on the other, if you car is fine is it worth the.. fine, as it were. You do see a high proportion of older cars on the roads here, but whether that is due to them staying in shape longer (what I used to think) or if it's just that cars are outrageously expensive here (another valid option).

Accents
After returning from Australia, I found myself really noticing accent differences and variants that make the Australian and New Zealand accents unique. Maybe it's those Spanish linguistic courses I took, but I find myself analyzing commercials and people I meet. I know I have mentioned before how it can be hard to understand (especially giving street names over the phone) but now it is a much more linguistic interpretation. It is to the point now that when we were re-watching Star Wars the other night (oh, yes) I picked out a little boy who only had 2 lines and said to Wells 'ah, he must be from New Zealan'. Dropping the 'd' of course as they do here. Sure enough, he was.
Try as I might, however, I cannot imitate the accent. Especially the Maori English accent. I try, but I just can't get it. Here is an example from a popular public service commercial against drunk driving:

Living as a Nomad
That's right.
This past month in Wellington has been the longest we have stayed in one place since the beginning of March when Brady came for his trip. After that we were in a mix of hostels, tents, a converted jailhouse and an old ship. Finding a place to stay in Wellington for just a month (that's how long before Elliot arrived). Most people were wanting longer-term renters, understandably so. On top of that we are a couple and on a low budget. We are a hard sell.  We ended up finding a place that has been amusing everyone that has Skyped with us. The place is very nice, but then to get to our bed we, ahem, climb out of the window in the living room, down a narrow set of stairs and into a small bungalow. Yes, essentially we are sleeping in a plywood box in the backyard. But, hey, for a month the novelty lasts. Now, after this trip with Elliot we will be scrambling to find a place in Wellington again. A joy I am glad to put off for a few days. I am fantasizing about staying in one place for at least a year when we move back.
All our worldly possessions in the car


Luckily, I was able to transfer branches with the Promotional company in Christchurch and have had a few jobs plus some lined up when we return. Even with the high cost of living here, I've been impressed with our ability to save up money for these exciting trips we have lined up!



Elliot has arrived! Here we go!


No comments:

Post a Comment