Monday, December 26

Merry Christmas: We're All Shook Up!

When I started this blog I knew that I would be writing about my Christmas in New Zealand- and how I was going to be spending it alone- meaning with no family and without Wells.  What I did not know was that my first real earthquake would overshadow it.

Two days ago, on the 23rd of December Christchurch was hit with another round of earthquakes. My story as an earthquake novice has been amusing locals and visitors alike and I will retell it, from the beginning, here.

ROUND 1
On Friday I was scheduled to be at work at 2pm.  I had just walked back from the shopping mall two blocks away after a quick trip to the grocery store and was running a little behind.  I was rushing and only go into the car just a couple minutes before 2.  As soon as turned on the engine, the car started to shake.  That's odd, I thought, thinking it was my car.  Once I made it the two blocks down to the mall my car started really shaking while I was waiting to turn.  The only way I can describe it is the way something shakes in a cartoon-- before it explodes.  Needless to say I began freaking out and for a moment considered jumping out of the car and getting away.  I decided the car was not safe to drive and got back home as quickly as I could. I texted my boss, Sam, that my car was acting weird so I was going to ride my bike but I would be there soon. I was especially worried since I was alone and know fairly little about cars.  As I passed the mall on my way to work, I noticed that the mall was evacuating- something that I had kind of noticed before.  What a coincidence, I thought.

I arrived at work and saw the girl who was on before me standing outside in the courtyard.  As I came in Robyn asked me if I was alright.  Sam must have told her about my car, I thought, and she's being very concerned and nice about it.

"You have to come see the bar," she said, "It's a mess, so much broken glass." What? I thought, I was here last night and I know we cleaned up!  I went over with her to look and sure enough, broken classes we on the floor and bottles were knocked over.  In my apparent confusion, my earthquake naivety showed through.

"You do realize that was an earthquake?" she asked.
 What? What?!?

As the realization hit me I was overwhelmed with a strange mixture of embarrassment, relief and new fear that brought me to tears.
"Would you like a glass of wine?" Robyn asked.
"Yes, please."

Assessment 1
By the time we had finished our wine (sitting outside) a couple of other bartenders had arrived.  We began surveying the damage and taking pictures. Here's a simple shot:

A messy fridge, broken glasses and bottles tipped over, but bearable.





There were a couple of people coming in asking to be served and we obliged a few of them.  On one hand, we've got broken glass and everything to deal with, but on the other hand, I guess people are just looking for a drink after what was an unpleasant reminder of the shaky past year they've had. My boss has a shot of me serving in this bar condition and when I finally get him to send it to me I'll post it.

ROUND 2: 6.0
So, as dedicated workers, Claire and I began restocking, arranging the fridge and wiping broken glass off of the counter tops.  Then the second earthquake hit.  It started as a rumble and as we had had a couple of small aftershocks, we both looked at each other thinking, is this going to pass or is this for real?

Then the bottles started falling.  This is for real. After snapping out of stunned stillness, Claire gave me the shove I needed and we raced out of the bar Indiana Jones-style amid the falling bottles and glasses. Breathe and regroup. Luckily we weren't hit with broken bottles but we definitely did come out sticky.

This last one was intense.  What you can't see is the cocktail mixture that covers the ground.

I'm glad we made it out of there!

At this point Sam closed the bar and cancelled everyone else that was scheduled to come in.  We began sifting through the rubble on the ground to see what we could salvage. Amid the half-empty beers and the pond of Bailey's we were able to pull out some, albeit sticky, survivors. 

Our new collection.

We all felt really bad for Sam since he not only lost stock, but was loosing the business he was expecting as well.  The day before was out most successful night ever and Friday was supposed to be the best night of the year (apparently heavy drinking is a kiwi Christmas tradition).  At this point, with the bar closed, that wasn't going to happen.  Unfortunately, this was the same for many business that we trying to get back on better economic standing after the year they have had.  Stores and malls emptying on one of the years biggest shopping days was not good news.  A couple of hours later, after we had cleared the glass, wiped the counters and removed all wasted liquid, we were left with a clean but empty bar.  Not to mention we were feeling a bit drained ourselves.  Sam called a group meeting after learning that a couple of local bars were still open.  None of us were expected to work and we debated on weather it was worth opening: Would people be coming out after today? What if there is another strong aftershock? In the end he decided to try and open so we all rallied up and sorted things in the most shake-proof way we could, meaning no stuff on shelves and no glasses hanging above.  We did open at around 7 that evening but closed earlier than usual because it was a lot for us to handle when everything was in boxes and it was just the four of us.
Celebrating a successful clean-up. And Santa hats.


All in all, it was a very long day and I was very grateful to Robyn who did  not allow me to spend the night alone and took me back to her place for the night.  Especially since for the rest of the day I scrammed whenever I felt movement and there were a couple of decent tremors in the night.  Luckily everything was just fine at home, I live on very solid bedrock ground.  Only one lamp had been knocked over and Oswald was calmer than before, if that makes any sense at all.

I worked Christmas eve as well the next day.  It was not as busy as was expected but no bar was and I'm sure it had to do with the earthquake and how it at the very least had thrown present and grocery shopping plans.  The staff Christmas gig afterwards was quite lively though, mostly because I saw my boss very drunk for the first time. Gold.

I guess you could say my first Christmas alone was a little shaky... but I still managed to have a successful day, mostly getting ready for my parents arrival on Boxing Day.  Now I'm excited for Wells to get back and have a proper Christmas dinner and small presents :)  And by small presents I do not mean aftershocks! I think I have had my fill by now.

No comments:

Post a Comment