Wednesday, November 16

From Behind The Suit: My Popsicle Gig

It's every parent's dream: Their daughter will grow up, run off with a man to another country, and become... a giant dancing Popsicle!

Well parents, you're welcome.

Yes, it's me! Photo by Wells
In my last post I mentioned that I have been very busy, especially with the opening of the new bar, but what also kept me running around was my first gig with the promotional company.  Knowing that I had dance experience, the manager pulled me in immediately to be a part of a three day event, where she needed people to learn a dance routine and wear a popsicle suit.  The company I did this for was providing entertainment for children at the A&P Show which runs for three days as the 'Show' portion of 'Cup and Show Week' that I mentioned earlier.  The Show began as a place to show and trade livestock but has now expanded to kid-friendly activities, carnival rides, axe men and motocross shows, as well as hosting a variety of vendors.  The four of us selected to dance were representing four popsicle characters that the company had who, of course, formed the 'Popsicle Band!'

The Whole Gang!
For two days the four of us got together to learn the dance- but without the suits.  As you can see, these were full on giant box suits so you can imagine how limited the dance moves were.  It was definitely not the dancing we were used to, but we ALL took to the costume donning like little kids to ice cream and had a great time greeting and hugging the kids- and of course performing! Even though our first time dancing in the costumes was on the stage itself during the first performance, we knew we rocked it and the 6 other shows we had over the course of three days.  (And actually we really do know because we just heard form our manager that Tip Top said we were the best Popsicle Band they had ever had and they couldn't have found a better group themselves!)  It was a lot of fun that my first event was a group one instead of a solo grocery gig since I got to meet some great people and learn a lot about the job.

Those silly suits definitely did fullfill a long-time goal to be a performing character; I was always a little sad that I had turned Disney down, but this was a great time to get a little taste.  Although I wish that like at Disney, we had helpers to walk around with us and be our eyes and mouths.  With no peripheral vision it was hard to see people walking up from the side or even tiny kids right in front of you.   For example, I could not see this little kid -->
I just patted my hands in a hugging motion when someone ran up, or when I was afraid I was going to knock over a small child.
More importantly though, we needed protectors when the slightly older kids thought it would be funny to hit and punch the 'Popsicle' or try and pull the gloves off.  Not being able to talk means not being able to tell them to stop- or call for help!  On the second day one of the girls was pummeled to the ground! They took us more seriously after that.

Now that's true support :)

On the second day, Wells came to see us and take pictures.  During the breaks we had a chance to walk around, see the animals and we had our first mince pies, an iconic food here.  We saw and axe and log climbing show, and Wells fell in love with camper vans and is currently trying to convince me that it would be a great place to live in DC while he is in med school! A little help over here?!

Working the show 9:30-5 for three days then working nights at the bar meant one crazy full week.  By Friday's show I was really starting to feel it but the great part was that I could yawn while shaking hands, or close my eyes while standing on stage during the kids' air guitar competition and no one knew! No matter what, you always looked super happy in that costume!

Showing off my drumming skills. Photo by Wells
All in all, I think that I have made a great start on both of my jobs- and I've been meeting some fun people and making friends.  This week Wells has started school, so he's keeping busy as well- his big trip is coming up!

For all of you asking, I am working on locating a video right now so stay tuned!  If you want more photos, visit Tip Top's Facebook page, they've got a whole bunch of us dancing and 'talking' to kids!

4 comments:

  1. Very fun. I would like to dress up like a Popsicle. Went to Tip Top page but couldn't find the photos...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, make that "Tip Top Ice Cream" Facebook page.

    And Sue, I'm sure you would!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! What a fun time it must have been. But you know what comes to mind: Your bunny has been chosen to dress up as a popsicle and has no peripheral vision.... What a killer gig!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see a bright future for you competing with Justin Timberlake in one of those Saturday Night Live skits where he rocks out as a dancing mascot. He's got nothing on your dancing popsicle.

    ReplyDelete